Tuesday 27 October 2015

The War Between Nursing Mother And Mother-in-Law: “It’s Your Baby, But She’s My Grandchild”



When women marry and start a family, we envision a loving, respectful adult relationship with our husbands, parents, in-laws, and extended family. For some of us, this is exactly how things unfold.

But, for the rest of us there can be trouble. Big trouble.  The arrival of the first baby/grandchild can make the the daughter-in-law/mother-in-law relationship fraught.  

Post-baby tensions are usually rooted in the new Mom’s perception, warranted or not, that Grandma is stepping on her turf. No matter how much we love our families, we want them to recognize the pecking order. 

Most grandparents simply want to help (and, of course, hold the baby). Unfortunately their desire to help (and hold) often collides head-on with our desire to do everything and with Law Number One, It’s My Baby.

Having a baby can make new mothers unbelievably sensitive, emotionally unpredictable and territorial. Before we have kids, most of us like to think that we’re going to be very relaxed parents only to find ourselves, once we have that baby, in the grips of something primal and pathological.  This is how Julia described it,

“I felt like an animal—like a ferocious mother lion. I would protect the baby’s well-being if it killed me. I would have ripped anyone to shreds, if they so much as sneezed near my baby. I said to myself, ‘Nothing is going to happen to this baby on my watch!”

So when a mother-in-law offers advice about what brand of diapers to use, or how to hold the baby, or just marches over to the crib and takes the baby, most new moms feel that their authority as “mother” is being threatened. Sometimes we’re right about the threat, but more often than not we’re misinterpreting a kind offer of help. New moms have also been known to overreact and take ourselves waaaaay too seriously.

Here are some comments from the grandmothers:
“When I babysit, I am given detailed instructions right down to being told not to put a sweater on the baby when it’s ninety-five degrees outside. They treat me like I’m an idiot.” – Miriam

“I feel like I’m an interloper, not an in-law. My daughter in-law sent me a reading list of parenting books so that I could be prepared for my visit with the new baby.” – Yvonne

“The last time I visited Sophie, my two-year-old granddaughter, I brought a beautiful book of fairy tales – Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, the classic stories. I was told that Sophie is not allowed any princess material – that I would be giving her the wrong messages about men and women. You would think I had given the child a set of kitchen knieves.” – Betty

Sometimes the Lioness Has to Roar
Of course, there are times when an out-of-line mother-in-law brings out the Mama Lion in us and we have to roar, but for the most part biting your tongue and giving your Mother In-law the benefit of the doubt (always assume she means well) will make your life much easier.

Establishing some ground rules is always a good idea, too. Most people respond well when there are clear expectations about what is, and what is not, acceptable behavior. For example, tell your mother-in-law  "When the baby’s asleep, I’d rather you didn’t wake her up, even if you think she needs to eat” or “I know you didn’t puree all your baby food, but I want to at least try to do it, so please don’t try to persuade me not to.” And so on.

Finally, remember that your adorable baby will turn into high-energy toddler who will never stop moving, then into a moody teenager and you will need all the help you can get!


Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment